Senior Renewable Energy Analyst
£50000 - £60000 per annum
Our client is an established and fast-growing pioneer in the renewable energy sector and is dedicated to clean energy use. They make complicated innovative technology simple, easy to install, enjoyable, clean, and aesthetically appealing. Their intelligent management unit has been designed to manage energy especially renewable energy in several behind-the-meter applications. With years dedicated to research and development, their smart and sustainable solutions have proven value in practice and can be deployed quickly and at a low cost for clients.
We are looking for a Senior Renewable Energy Analyst / Techno-Economic Modeller with a background in sizing and commercial modelling of behind-the-meter (BTM) energy systems (e.g.: Battery, Solar PV, Wind, EVCPs etc) and an established track record in putting together financial business cases and presenting them to decision makers at mid to large size companies.
The right candidate will use her/his experience to be at the core of our design team with the task of assessing commercial & industrial sites, modelling the optimal energy system to be installed on-site, putting together a detailed business case and presenting the outcome in a simple, clear way to key decision makers (working closely with sales).
The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of the energy transition and the opportunities it creates for combining battery energy storage systems, Solar PV, Wind, EV charge points etc into behind-the-meter energy systems on commercial & industrial sites.
Understanding the revenue streams available for such onsite renewable energy systems (e.g.: wholesale market, ancillary service, non-commodity cost avoidance, solar shifting, peak avoidance, capacity market) as well as electricity supply and export tariffs (including their components) is a strong plus.
A quant background and experience in financial business case modelling (e.g.: multi-year NPV, IRR etc) is critical. Knowledge of Matlab is a plus but not required.
This position requires an energetic individual with an affinity for numbers and putting together compelling business cases.
- Define inputs needed for the financial model and communicate that to sales and customers.
- Assess the capacity of behind-the-meter sites for Solar PV/Wind installations (using software such as PVSol or Helioscope).
- Using our tools to deduct the commercially optimal size (cost/benefit analysis) of onsite energy systems (BESS, PV, Wind, EVCPs, heat pumps etc) within given site constraints (e.g.: grid import/export limits, space availability), based on actual component costs and taking into account all available revenue/income streams to the project.
- Build a financial business case (e.g.: excel) around the optimal site, including a proposed Electricity-as-a-Service tariff to potential customers.
- Prepare a simple, clear proposal document to be presented to key decision makers at customer (in cooperation with sales).
- Refine initial site assessment in later sales stages, together with technical designers and project managers, to arrive at a final optimized design.
- Stay on top of developments in wholesale and ancillary markets (as well as any other potential revenue streams for BTM sites).
- Analyse market trends, regulatory policies, and incentives impacting BTM systems.
- Provide insights and recommendations to optimise system design and operation for economic efficiency.
- Update techno-economic models as required and propose improvements.
Skills & Aptitude
- A hands-on, dynamic person with a track record of financial modelling and an affinity for numbers.
- Excellent analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving skills.
- Logical, structured thinking.
- Comfortable with numbers, excel and modelling software.
- Focused on details.
- Driven to learn.
- Can-do attitude.
- Highly motivated individual.
- Entrepreneurial, with experience in conceiving and then managing deliverables through to successful execution.
Climate17 is a purpose-led, international Renewable Energy & Sustainability recruitment firm. We provide specialist talent acquisition services to organisations seeking to reduce their environmental footprint, as well as those working towards the decarbonisation of the energy sector.
Inclusive Application Process
Climate17 is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. We believe there is no solution to climate change without people. We aim to increase diversity across all areas and as such, we are committed to partnering with clients and candidates to create an inclusive and sustainable regenerative world.
We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, or whether or not they have a disability.
Sign up to our newsletter
Jobs, insights, resources and more. A fortnightly update, straight to your inbox.