Our client is a rapidly growing energy market company that have 25 years of energy market knowledge. They are decarbonising the energy system by providing key energy services and smart metering enterprise. They focus on technology, data, and sustainability in their ethos and business brand, they are determined to deliver the future of smart energy.
Working closely with the Operations Director, you will have extensive knowledge of the technical, policy and market aspects of the UK energy sector. The Senior Flexibility Specialist will provide tactical direction to the project development and software development team.
You will manage and show knowledge of all active flexibility projects within the company's portfolio, whilst keeping up to date with the growth of the software platform.
You will play a vital role in locking new flexibility project opportunities and you will lead the preparation and proposal of tender applications and online bids via flexibility platforms, grid balancing markets, as well as wholesale energy trading. The role will also involve investigating new national and international market entry, growth opportunities and commercial models for the business.
You must be willing to travel when necessary.
- Analysing and responding to industry consultations on behalf of the organisation.
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with grid operators.
- Supporting the billing, invoicing and validation of the flexibility portfolio.
- Assisting the project development team in the submission of grid connection applications.
- Supporting the development of systems and processes required to deliver market-leading flexibility product solutions.
- Development of modelling, analysis, and business cases for flexibility assets.
- Producing quantitative analyses and market forecasts.
- Performing gap analyses of technical system requirements for new flexibility services or markets both in the UK and internationally.
- Utilising data analytics to report on flexibility market trading performance.
- Advising on new and changing regulation that can impact on flexibility assets and developing proactive solutions to support the business.
- Presenting information on flexibility markets to internal and external stakeholders.
- Analysing key changes to network charging that will impact existing assets or business strategy.
- Analysing the likely impact of different regulations and financial incentives on future investment.
- Work with the leadership team to decide which flexibility projects are the highest priority against the business targets and which can be executed with the available resource.
- Developing and maintaining lasting relationships with partners, suppliers, and consultants.
- Providing training and mentoring as needed.
- Carrying out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
Skills and Experience
- Hold a relevant degree in an analytical STEM subject (e.g., Maths, Engineering, Physical Sciences), or equivalent, or any other related technical discipline if sufficient practical experience can be demonstrated.
- Previous experience working in the flexibility sector and/or with an aggregator business.
- Excellent understanding of the UK and wider European energy industry.
- Strong and demonstrable flexibility market experience.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to build rapport with different stakeholders, inside and outside of the business.
- Extensive knowledge of flexibility revenue streams, including wholesale markets, Balancing Mechanism, ancillary services and avoided costs.
- Strong technical understanding of flexibility assets (batteries, EV chargers, smart heating systems, metering solutions etc.) and how they interact with the energy market.
- Experience of generating cost-benefit analyses for energy projects and verification of the returns on investment following project implementation.
- Interest and desire to engage with policymakers, government and industry working groups.
- Experience in responding to public consultations.
- Familiarity and experience with flexibility trading platforms, public procurement, tendering sites etc.
- OJEU tendering experience.
- Experienced and proficient in technical and financial modelling of energy systems.
- Excellent analytical skills, with a high standard of data accuracy.
- Demonstrable market research/industry analysis experience.
- Technology market research/industry analysis experience.
- Solid quantitative analysis, ability to create market models and forecasts using assumptions gleaned from research.
- Highly self-motivated and capable of demonstrating initiative and the ability to adapt to change in a continuously evolving business.
Climate17 are recruitment specialists across Clean Energy & Environmental markets. Our extensive experience, expert market knowledge and passion for what we do stand us apart.