Sector Standards Manager, Science-Based Targets initiative
Sector Standards Manager, Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi)
Climate17 are proud to partner with Science-Based Target initiative (SBTi) to help and select for a Global Sector Standards Manager, responsible for Industry or Energy sector. The role has an option of remote work worldwide, but with a preference for UK, Germany, USA, Mexico, or France.
Job Purpose and Background:
The postholder will work to help develop technical resources, guidance and tools to drive the adoption of climate targets in line with the ambition required to limit warming to 1.5°C with a special focus on the putting in place of new processes for sector standard development Core responsibilities will be to lead a project to put in place systems and procedures for standard-setting through innovative hybrid models. The post holder will also lead piloting of sector projects developed through these new models.
This position will report to the Head of Sectoral Development, based in Spain.
This role plays an important part in achieving an expansion in SBTi's sector-specific resources to cover key sectors.
You are a great fit for this role if you: are an expert in both standard -writing and decarbonization of the most climate-relevant sectors, with clear leadership skills, and motivated to use science-based targets to make a real difference in decarbonizing these sectors. You have experience in standard-setting, GHG accounting, and skills in managing multiple stakeholders. You are a "generalist": you have strong technical and management skills with the flexibility to apply these to varied projects.
About the SBTi:
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is a global body enabling businesses to set ambitious emissions reductions targets in line with the latest climate science. It is focused on accelerating companies worldwide to halve emissions before 2030 and achieve net-zero emissions before 2050.
The SBTi defines and promotes best practices in science-based target setting, offers resources and guidance to reduce barriers to adoption, and independently assesses and approves companies' targets. For more information, please visit www.sciencebasedtargets.org
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead the SBTi's hybrid sector development work, including managing up to 1 technical manager
- Lead the development of standards, tools and technical resources to facilitate the adoption of 1.5°C-aligned targets sectors for which hybrid model is used
- Work with Head of Sectoral Development Team to develop priorities for future sector-specific work
- Project coordination and stakeholder management for sector-specific resources to be developed in line with the SBTi Sectoral Development Framework
- Support with other ad-hoc research and technical activities as required by the Science Based Targets initiative
- Coordinate and support outreach to stakeholders as part of the SBTi consultative processes on technical projects
Essential skills and experience needed:
- 10 years professional experience, with a background in climate change, sustainability, environmental engineering, and/or sustainable development
- Experience with standard-setting organizations and in developing standards
- Good command of mitigation pathways, climate scenarios and decarbonization roadmaps
- Good knowledge of corporate GHGs accounting and science-based target setting
- Professional, effective and flexible team player, with proven ability to work with high-level representatives from the business, investors and civil society
- Proven people management and project management skills
- Entrepreneurial, self-motivated, and able to work independently in an international and multi-cultural remote work environment
- Fluency in English with excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ability to digest and communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
- Results oriented, ability to handle multiple tasks and work in a constantly evolving environment
- Experience with apparel sector or other sectors beyond core expertise
- Flexibility to expand into other projects as required
This is a full-time role based remotely worldwide, but with a preference for UK, Germany, USA, Mexico, France.
The salary for this role will depend on location and experience level.
This role is a fixed-term contract for 12 months with the possibility of extension.
Interested candidates should be legally allowed to work in the countries specified. The SBTi cannot sponsor any working visas.
What we offer:
- Working in one of the most successful and fastest-growing initiatives driving climate action;
- Exciting and challenging tasks in a dynamic, international, innovative, and highly motivated team;
- Training and development;
- Attractive holiday package.
How to apply: We are looking for this position in collaboration with Climate17, to apply please submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to Neeraj Ghale:
Climate17 and SBTi is an equal opportunity employer - committed to building an inclusive workplace and diverse staff, where all can thrive. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin,
disability, or age.
Sign up to our newsletter
Jobs, insights, resources and more. A fortnightly update, straight to your inbox.