Climate17 are proud to recruit for the leader in the Energy Flexibility space for the position of the Head of Operations.
The Head of Operations is a global role and will be responsible for:
- the management of current programmes (experience in Capacity Market is required)
- the management of company's existing portfolio of clients
- overseeing the entry into new markets and programmes
The role requires effective co-ordination of the programmes, ensuring compliance with the specifications of each programme, managing the profitability of client contracts, and effectively allocating clients within the portfolio, and oversight of any risks and issues arising. The role is crucial in leading a team which ensures commitments are delivered and provides effective customer service to the company's growing portfolio. The holder of this role will form part of the Management Team.
- Head up the Operations team who are responsible for managing assets belonging to the company's customers (and flexibility suppliers) in flexibility market programmes.
- Management of the company's existing portfolio of programmes in the UK including Short Term Operating Reserve (STOR), Capacity Markets, Dynamic Containment, as well as financial reconciliation and forecasting.
- Acting as the main point of contact for National Grid and EMR regarding queries related to the company's portfolio of clients and programme management including settlements and reconciliations as well as supporting UK Team with operational enquiries and communications in relation with National Grid and EMR.
- Escalation of any issues and working towards their resolution, including addressing under-performance and serving as a point of escalation for critical customer issues.
- Team leadership - supporting the Operations Team, ensuring members of the Operations Team are fully trained and familiar with their role and tasks - Operations Team management includes recruitment, training and mentoring.
- Reporting the progress and status of the Operations Team to Senior Management.
- Proactively monitor market/programme changes and ensure operational continuity by responding to market changes.
- Adding operational responsibility for non-UK programmes should company decide to operate in those.
- Working closely with the Market Analysis team and our global partners team to understand what new markets. and new programmes the company is planning to enter, to contribute knowledge into the selection process, and to subsequently project manage market entry and oversee their successful management.
- Project Managing the market entry of new programmes based on the high-level requirement for this developed by Market Analysis.
- Working with the various departments impacted by a new programme entry to work out the next level details required to enter the programme. This includes working with Product who analyse deeper what the product requirements are; working with the Operations team staff to detail the operational workflows and put the resources & processes & possibly 3rd party tools in place to support them; working with Finance to manage registration to be a participant and posting collateral.
- Seeking additional information and clarification from e.g. programme operators / TSOs and feeding that to the departments who need this information.
- Programme Management the Market Entry process overall, making sure there is a clear plan and timelines and deliverables, and ensuring all departments contributing stay on track and have what they need to deliver.
- Ensuring successful onboarding process for new clients / sites and new programmes.
- Implementation of new internal processes, procedures and tools, focusing on continuous improvement of departmental activities to lower cost to serve customers and increase accountability.
- Feeding ideas to the Product team for new features and capabilities that could lead to an overall improvement of the company's core platform for customers.
Skills and Aptitude Required
- Experience in Capacity Market or broader Energy Flexibility space, in an operations role.
- Effective leadership, interpersonal, organisational and communication skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- The ability to command respect and create a sense of community amongst all members of the Operations Team.
- Good knowledge of techniques for planning, monitoring and managing programmes.
- Good understanding of the Demand Side Response programmes.
- Good understanding of Capacity markets.
- Prior experience working closely with or overseeing front-office and back-office teams.
- The ability to find ways of solving or pre-empting problems.
- The ability to accurately record decisions and actions and to progress to resolution and closure.
- The ability to work in a matrix environment with different stakeholders and interdisciplinary teams.
Climate17 are recruitment specialists across Energy & Environmental markets. Our extensive experience, expert market knowledge and passion for what we do stand us apart.