Climate17 is working with a leading private sector provider of public transport. Their businesses are at the heart of communities and the essential services they provide are critical to delivering wider economic, social, and environmental goals.
The Group Environment Manager will play a key role in maintaining the high standards of environmental management that have been achieved by the Company to date, including ISO certified management systems and high ratings in sustainability leadership indices such as the Carbon Disclosure Project and Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
Reporting to the Group Director of Corporate Responsibility, the post-holder will contribute to the companies Group-wide sustainability framework, Mobility Beyond Today, and drive its UK-wide implementation in terms of environment. The post-holder will work with divisions to identify the necessary environmental skills, resources, systems of evaluation, monitoring and governance, and will be confident in driving change in a complex business environment.
As an expert practitioner and member of a relevant professional body (e.g., IEMA), the post-holder will maintain (and audit divisional compliance against) a robust framework of environmental policy, standards, and internal controls for the Group, continually setting the highest standards, sharing best practice, and identifying opportunities for innovation which can be applied from outside the sector.
The post-holder will lead the monitoring, auditing, reporting, and benchmarking of the Group's environmental performance, whilst continually assessing opportunities for improvement.
Proven experience of managing compliance with UK regulatory requirements is a must - including corporate reporting of GHG emissions.
The role will suit a self-starter with strong communication and analytical skills who is confident working in a small, fast-paced central team to drive change and business improvement across the Group's UK operations.
- Contribute to the Group CR/sustainability strategy and drive its delivery in terms of environment. Agree objectives and targets with our clients UK divisions in support of their overall CR/sustainability strategy and plans.
- Monitor and evaluate the Group's sustainability performance, analysing trends and communicating these to stakeholders. Working with the Group CR Manager, continue strong participation in sustainability leadership index schemes such as DJSI, CDP, and FTSE4Good.
- Manage compliance with the Group's regulatory energy and environmental obligations including the Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) Regulations.
- Stay at the forefront of relevant legislation, assessing the impact of policy and regulatory developments and recommending, communicating, and implementing strategies to ensure Group compliance, especially in relation to carbon and air emissions.
- Support and lead divisional approaches to energy and environmental management systems in the UK, including relevant Group policy, protocols, and standards. Support divisional communication plans, training and other capacity building needs to ensure efficient delivery of such systems.
- Support the integration of strategic sustainability concerns into procurement and value-chain management. Maintain an overview of divisional (EMS) auditing programmes but also ensure the development of wider CR/sustainability auditing capability within core business functions, including risk and supplier audit.
- Provide expert support on environmental incidents where escalation has been required.
- To maintain a comprehensive knowledge of the Group's objectives and business plans.
- To establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues throughout the Group.
- To encourage a culture of sharing and embedding of CR/sustainability best practice within the Group.
- To lead on ad hoc programmes in support of the Group Director of Corporate Responsibility as required.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Educated to relevant degree level (or equivalent professional experience).
- Membership of a relevant professional body (e.g., IEMA/IES) at Full level or higher (or equivalent).
- Proven experience in an environmental management role, managing compliance with UK environmental legislative requirements.
- Proven ability, and confidence, to successfully engage with peers and senior leaders to gain buy-in for change.
- Keen understanding of how data is used to identify opportunities for improvement, to support business cases and drive change.
- Exemplary understanding of sustainability/ESG reporting, benchmarking, and assurance standards.
- Persuasive in the presentation of analysis, trends, results, and forecasts.
- Strong commercial awareness, and a keen understanding of the impact of long-term environmental risks and opportunities on the Group's business model.
- Results driven; a problem solver; proactive; a finisher.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter, with the ability to work independently within a fast-paced team, and to tight deadlines at certain points in the reporting calendar.
- The EQ and self-awareness to operate effectively at senior levels in a listed plc, inspiring confidence at all levels by demonstrating resilience, mature judgement, and calmness under pressure.
Climate17 are recruitment specialists across Clean Energy & Environmental markets. Our extensive experience, expert market knowledge and passion for what we do stand us apart.