Grid Connection Engineer - Renewable Energy
Grid Connections Engineer - Renewable Energy
Location: Watford and Glasgow
Salary: £65,000 DOE
Our client is an industry leader in the renewable energy industry, offering a total solution for renewable energy projects. Launching the next generation of renewables, including solar, wind and BESS projects, contributing to a clean and sustainable future. They operate within project development, financing, construction, and operational maintenance. As part of continued and sustained growth, they are seeking a Grid developer specialist.
In this role, you will be supporting the grid team in identifying and securing grid capacity both on the distribution level and national transmission level. Communication with DNOs and NGESO is key, the ideal candidate must have experience in power system analysis, experience liaising with a variety of stakeholders and be able to effectively work in a team environment.
- Carry out grid connection feasibility studies for new sites and provide grid input into new site search activities as required.
- Identify optimum grid connection solutions considering operational factors, such as; grid use of system charging, loss adjustments and grid related constraint/ curtailment.
- Secure grid connection agreements (or modifications) aligned with the project strategy.
- Negotiate grid technical requirements and preparation of contract documents.
- Identify and track grid liabilities, provide advice on connection agreement strategies to help manage risk exposure.
- Prepare executive approval memo's for entering grid agreements and/or securing an increase in liabilities.
- Grid company relationship management.
- Advise on project substation grid equipment layout for planning applications and environmental impact assessment reports.
- Provide advice on interconnection options including ICP and private wire options.
- Provide robust information on grid connection costs and substation equipment for project financial models.
- Manage ICP design process in relation to contestable connection works including the planning/ co-ordinating of multidisciplinary inputs and interface with the DNO including DNO design approval.
- Deliver grid compliance to enable timely energisation and operation of the project.
- Advise on the procurement of specialist electrical engineering e.g., grid code compliance design solutions and specialist studies.
- Where required, provide support to operating projects through the Support Services team as part of grid troubleshooting and third-party adoption.
- Knowledge of power systems up to 33kV and above in a power generation environment.
- Knowledge of grid technical connection requirements and commercial policies.
- Understanding of commercial project requirements and priorities.
- Ability to suggest alternative (more costs effective or timely) grid connection solutions and to negotiate with external grid companies.
- Commercial awareness relating to contract compliance, cost control and relative value of engineering solutions.
- Project planning and management to align key grid milestones with wider project delivery.
- Presentation skills to technical and non-technical audiences - written and verbal.
- Attention to detail during preparation and review of design deliverables.
- Experience in the installation, testing, commissioning and operation of power generation systems and other electrical engineering works.
- Experience in working with DNO's/Grid companies to identify areas where grid capacity is available and manage the related application processes.
- Degree/HND/HNC in Electrical Engineering or related subject.
Climate17 is a purpose-led, international Renewable Energy & Sustainability recruitment firm. We provide specialist talent acquisition services to organisations seeking to reduce their environmental footprint, as well as those working towards the decarbonisation of the energy sector.
Inclusive Application Process
Climate17 is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. We believe there is no solution to climate change without people. We aim to increase diversity across all areas and as such, we are committed to partnering with clients and candidates to create an inclusive and sustainable regenerative world.
Sign up to our newsletter
Jobs, insights, resources and more. A fortnightly update, straight to your inbox.