Our client is a global renewable energy developer who have been at the forefront of the energy industry for many years. They are looking for a Development Project Manager who will be responsible for delivering solar projects across the UK.
Due to the Covid pandemic, staff are currently working from home but would be expected to return to the company office in Hertfordshire once the situation allows.
You will be responsible for: running the project (including budget, programme and team management) and deciding project strategy up to point of planning consent; handling and undertaking community relations and communications; producing an Environmental Statement; securing planning consent; obtaining planning condition compliance and supporting planning compliance during construction and operation.
This role is key to securing planning consent for a project, the stage at which most of the project’s profit is secured.
- Add customer value and reduce costs (DEVEX, CAPEX and OPEX) for projects ensuring project viability on a subsidy free basis through efficient working, careful scoping, procurement and creative engineering and design opportunities, and project economic/financial modelling.
- Responsible for setting and leading the project programme in line with strategy to consent.
- Manage all risks on projects using appropriate tools and contracts.
- Responsible for project budget to point of consent: includes management of internal and external hours and costs.
- Responsible for EIA screening, scoping and producing the planning application, normally accompanied by an Environmental Statement.
- Responsible for management of external consultants and internal technical or engineering support in relation to the project design, ES production, or condition discharge bundles.
- Responsible for management of property - ensuring property is secured on viable terms - supported by the Property Manager.
- Coordination of engineering design, technical studies and grid requirements is needed along with a solid understanding of how to maximise profit and the probability of securing consent – supported by the engineer/technical analyst.
- Responsible for planning submission and driving towards a consent.
- Responsible for Appeals process, which may involve management of a Public Inquiry.
- Responsible for obtaining timely pre-commencement planning condition discharge.
- Responsible for obtaining any post consent planning variations.
- Support obtaining other licences and permits required by the project.
- Provide support for planning condition compliance throughout construction and operations.
- Accountable for ensuring project documentation and consultation is aligned with planning policy and EIA regulations.
- Handling external stakeholder relationships, including landowners, local community, planning bodies, local politicians and other key influencers including objectors, all consultees statutory or otherwise, grid companies, consultants, suppliers, regulators and media.
- Support development and implementation of wind and solar projects as appropriate to the location.
Knowledge & Skills
- Detailed knowledge of the drivers for a successful solar project development and understanding of the common risks.
- Deep understanding of the planning systems and planning policy relating to renewable energy.
- Knowledge of the Appeals and Public Inquiry legal process.
- Knowledge of Environmental Impact regulations.
- Project economics & commercial aspects of projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- An entrepreneurial approach and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Handling and co-ordinating inputs from external consultants and project team members.
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills.
Experience & Qualifications
- Successfully managing solar /wind projects within resource and budget constraints.
- Experience of team coordination.
- Successfully dealing with planning authorities and other project stakeholders, including landowners, general public, project contractors, external consultants and development partners.
- Production of Planning Applications, Environmental Statements and planning condition discharge bundles.
- Experience of the Appeals process including Public Inquires.
- Degree in an environmental, engineering, technical, planning or science based subject or equivalent.
- Private healthcare
- Discounted green travel
- 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell 5 days per annum
- Company annual bonus
Climate17 are recruitment specialists across Clean Energy & Environmental markets. Our extensive experience, expert market knowledge and passion for what we do stand us apart.