Country Manager - Energy Storage
Our retained client is a global leader in energy storage and renewable energy. Their expertise spans across origination, development construction and operation. The company is in the scale-up phase, acquiring, developing, and owning projects globally.
They are currently looking to hire a business leader in Milan, to lead their push into the Italian market. This role will primarily lead on the delivery of some recently acquired projects in the region, as well as lead on the growth and development of the business.
The candidate will be responsible for overseeing the development, financing, construction, and operation of a growing portfolio of energy storage projects in Italy (with potential expansion into other European countries). The candidate must have demonstrable experience in leading non-recourse project-financed projects (client or contractor-side) throughout all stages of the project lifecycle. Invariably, the candidate will be adept at managing a business and be versed in the skills (from legal, finance, technical and asset management, etc) to oversee the development of greenfield sites, through to financial close and into successful operation.
- Enhance the strategy for growing the Italian business into a centre of excellence, and form there explore opportunities in other European markets. Included in the business strategy is a requirement to prepare the project and Italy office budget forecasts, deliver margins and be accountable for the profit and loss of the Italian.
- The role also requires the oversight and management of the back-office functions, including project accounting and liaison with the group Marketing, PR, and HR Managers.
- Recruit, train and develop the project management/procurement, operational and back-office team.
- Liaise with various stakeholders, including landowners, consultants, contractors, suppliers, and regulatory / network authorities.
- Identify and evaluate opportunities from greenfield through distressed projects to support the Italian business strategy.
- Concurrently, oversight of the existing portfolio is required to ensure the efficient and effective execution as undertaken by the development partners.
- Prepare, negotiate and execute the project document suite during late stage development (ideally once grid and planning are largely de-risked) including supply agreements, design and construct/ balance of plant agreements and long-term operations and maintenance agreements, culminating in bankable projects. Support and collaborate with central investment team to close out project non-recourse funding / divestment.
- The project document suite will need to satisfy legal, insurance and technical due diligence.
- Manage the design and construction of multiple assets that may be delivered concurrently across multiple regions in Italy
- Strong academic background, ideally with an Engineering or construction bias.
- Significant experience in leading an IPP or Project Development business within renewable energy in Italy.
- Experience with the Italian planning system as administered by MASE for energy storage, and the Terna grid connection processes is essential.
- An expert in assessing the feasibility of BESS projects.
- Experience in non-recourse project financed energy projects would be ideal.
- Experience in overseeing a project portfolio through the entire lifecycle from finance/investment stages through development and construction to operation.
- Strong knowledge of Battery Storage / Solar PV / Onshore wind / Offshore Wind / Interconnection projects (project financed interconnector project).
- Senior-level experience working in a global, multi-lingual environment. The engineering centre will be in Shanghai, working with London, Poland, Germany, Spain etc.
- Requirement to be comfortable in managing multiple cultures, and business practices across time zones - there will be the expectation to travel and build relationships with a global team.
- A network of contacts in Italy to support origination and the raising of project finance.
- Ability to work autonomously and self-manage.
- Ability to make independent decisions based on sound assessment.
- Resilient in approach and clear communicator.
Climate17 is a purpose-led, international Renewable Energy & Sustainability recruitment firm. We provide specialist talent acquisition services to organisations seeking to reduce their environmental footprint, as well as those working towards the decarbonisation of the energy sector.
Inclusive Application Process
Climate17 is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. We believe there is no solution to climate change without people. We aim to increase diversity across all areas and as such, we are committed to partnering with clients and candidates to create an inclusive and sustainable regenerative world.
We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, or whether or not they have a disability.
If you require additional support, equipment or resources in order to participate in the job application or interview process, please let us know.
Sign up to our newsletter
Jobs, insights, resources and more. A fortnightly update, straight to your inbox.