Our client is an independent power producer primarily focused on building and operating highly flexible small-mid scale embedded peaking generation and renewable energy projects in the UK.
They are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated Connections Manager to join their rapidly growing development department in a growing business. Initially this position will involve general support in managing a large and growing portfolio of grid and gas connections for flexible generation, battery storage and solar projects as part of our dynamic and entrepreneurial team.
Over time, the role will evolve as the business grows and therefore affords the opportunity to develop in different directions in support of the business and potential of the individual. For example, specialising in particular areas of the connections process or behind the meter projects, demand side management, battery storage technology and overseas markets are all areas of potential future growth.
This position requires a positive flexible person with a keen eye to accuracy and detail, has a broad understanding of the end-to-end grid and gas connections process, can work well in a busy office environment, do what needs to be done and contribute to the overall success of the business.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assist with the preparation, submission and management of electrical grid connection documentation including connection applications, quotations, innovations and connection agreements. Utilizing external consultants to support when appropriate.
- Support the longer-term goal of managing gas connection applications and UIP contract tendering in-house.
- Maintain efficient tracking tools for all connections to ensure deadlines are not missed and can be efficiently managed ahead of time where there is risk of delay.
- Input into project designs and overall project plan - Ensure essential detail such as financial obligations, time constraints and utility routing is relayed to the appropriate development, wayleave, commercial and finance teams within the business.
- Liaise with commercial and technical teams to ensure MPAN’s, MPRN’s and energy supply contracts are established ahead of time, preventing risk to project operational dates.
- Assist with the timely response to funder due diligence queries.
- Assist in determining the likely available grid capacity at potential development sites via a combination of early engagement with DNO’s, reviewing capacity heat map tools and basic LTDS data, or the use of external consultants.
- Support the stage gate transition and smooth handover of development projects through pre-construction and construction phases.
- Ad hoc support to the construction team (liaise with utility network operators and contractors to address general queries, cost variations etc.).
Education and Experience
- Broad understanding and experience managing the end-to-end grid and gas connections process (highly desirable)
- 5+ years’ experience working in the utility industry
- Knowledge of the project development lifecycle, from concept and planning permission to construction, final energization and commissioning (desirable)
- Knowledge of utility network operator GIS mapping systems (although our inhouse GIS and CAD teams normally provide this function)
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office packages is essential
- A-level or degree in project management and/or engineering discipline (desirable)
- Highly organised
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- High level of numeracy
- Project management
Climate17 are recruitment specialists across Clean Energy & Environmental markets. Our extensive experience, expert market knowledge and passion for what we do stand us apart.